Artificial intelligence, AI, has enjoyed widespread acceptance in the past decade, making a mark in physical security technology. Security devices that carry the label “AI-powered” appear more reliable, with business owners more inclined to trust products with AI functionality. What exactly is AI in security, specifically in commercial security?
This blog explores what makes up an AI commercial security system and how it enhances commercial and business security.
What Is an AI Security System?
The introduction of AI in security has made it easier for security personnel to carry out their duties in ensuring the safety of everyone within commercial establishments and business premises. AI is a branch of computer science that enables machines to behave or act as humans do. It gives machines a brain to “think” and perform cognitive functions – tasks that typically require human intelligence, like perceiving, reasoning, and learning.
AI is intrinsically connected to machine learning. This is another branch of computer science that collects data and gives machines and computers the ability to “learn” things without a technician having to program explicit commands telling them what to perform.
AI and machine learning operate synchronously, as AI tells a machine what to do, while machine learning enables it to learn and enhance its built-in commands the more it performs AI-operated tasks.
Consider how intelligent surveillance cameras work in an AI security system: artificial intelligence allows cameras to detect objects in live or recorded footage. It alerts the security system when it detects a threatening presence, like a person stepping into a restricted area, as opposed to an unthreatening object such as a bird flying close to the camera or a stray cat running across the turf. Machine learning enhances the AI’s ability to distinguish between these two, teaching the computer system and improving its ability to interpret data independently.
Key Features Of an AI Security System
What can be expected of AI-powered commercial security systems? These technologies are some of its key features. You’ll also find some examples of real-world AI commercial security applications.
- Machine Learning – Machine learning improves an AI security system over time. Its extensive applications include enhancing access control and recognizing threats by identifying subjects in real-time or stored video footage. Machine learning is also used to protect Internet-based security systems that may be vulnerable to malware infections and hacking.
- 24/7 Surveillance – Since an artificial intelligence security system is machine-operated and needs little to zero human supervision, it can ensure consistent, high-level surveillance security. Modern CCTV cameras with AI and machine learning capabilities are a great example. They provide continuous, vigilant surveillance and don’t require human presence except for the occasional monitoring and routine checks of recorded footage.
- Smart Functions – Security devices that turn on at a voice command or automatically as one enters the premises are examples of AI-powered smart features in a business security system. Other functions are auto-adjustments (such as for thermostat settings), auto-activation, and auto-switch-off.
- Real-Time Alerts to Authorities – With an AI security system having cognitive abilities to discern threats from non-threats accurately, it can alert the appropriate offices or security teams once its learned red flags are tripped.
Companies providing commercial surveillance and security services typically have a 24/7 monitoring center. They have full-time security technicians who call clients when their security alarms go off to verify emergencies. These technicians then contact the authorities, firefighters, or first responders if necessary.
- Proactive Threat Prevention – Modern AI commercial security systems can preempt potentially dangerous incidents that harm people’s safety. Systems that monitor indoor environmental conditions like air quality, temperature, and smoke detectors are perfect examples. They have built-in sensors that identify irregular heat patterns, for example, and trigger fire-preemption protocols, such as making the smoke detector alarm go off or broadcasting an evacuation alert through the building’s PA system.
- Behavior Analysis – We now have sophisticated technology that analyzes human behavioral patterns and detects anomalies that might be considered threats. Behavioral analysis tech tied into biometrics (ID systems based on individuals’ fingerprints, voice, or facial features) can further enhance a commercial security system’s accuracy. For example, they can identify who enters the office after hours or deny unauthorized people access to the vaults, warehouses, back offices, etc.
These are just some examples of enhanced security features thanks to AI. We can look forward to even more impressive enhancements in the future. AI is very versatile and can be integrated into many information technology systems and applications, so businesses might enjoy more customizations to satisfy their unique security needs in the future.
Choose the Right Artificial Intelligence Security System for Your Business
Physical security should be a priority when you operate a physical store or conduct business in an office or building. More than safeguarding your business processes and assets, ensuring your and your employees’ safety while on the job is a must.
Finding the best AI security system for your business will require thoroughly studying your security needs, starting with identifying the dangers your employees or customers potentially face on your premises and finding an equivalent security solution.
Comprehensive systems designed to provide umbrella protection against known physical threats like burglars, vandals, trespassers, and structural fire risks are convenient and cost-effective. Still, in some cases, customized on-site security solutions are a must. Every business has unique security requirements, which may require a strategically-crafted system of security devices and technology.
Aeon Systems can provide the security solutions your business needs. We’ve provided comprehensive and affordable commercial security solutions to local business owners in Arlington, Texas. As a family-run company, we are hands-on in helping customers design a custom security network for their business establishments. We offer AI-powered access control, alarm monitoring, fire and video surveillance systems for commercial and industrial applications.
Investing in AI security systems protects your business and employees from physical threats. Contact Aeon Systems for a consultation and request a free quote.