Technology progresses and evolves so rapidly that keeping up is sometimes challenging. But, there is comfort in knowing that technological advancements translate to improved home security systems.
Here’s a list of five home security trends we believe will take off and become more prevalent next year and beyond.
Five Security and Smart Home Trends for 2024
- Enhanced Smart Home Integration
There is a growing preference for seamless physical security measures and solutions with a holistic approach. Smart home technologies are becoming more present in regular households, mainly because they are now more affordable and available to general consumers. And as homeowners become more tech-savvy, many gravitate towards the most advanced home security system – namely, security solutions that integrate with smart home devices.
We can expect a surge in voice-controlled home security trends. Given the popularity of Amazon’s Alexa, Apple’s Siri, and Google Assistant, many homeowners are now more comfortable using voice assistants to activate IoT-supported home security features, like locking multiple doors simultaneously, activating “away from home” protocols, and more.
2. Improved Physical Intrusion Detection (PID)
IoT technology provides the platform for new trends in security technology, specifically for physical intrusion detection in residential properties. For example, doors and gates with access control mechanisms (i.e., biometric locks and RFID or key card-access doors) will be integrated with other security measures like surveillance and motion sensors. Collectively, these technologies will work harmoniously to enhance PID protocols. If surveillance cameras and sensors detect people’s presence in places where they shouldn’t be, the system will automatically alert on-site security personnel or inform the homeowner’s security services provider.
3. Connected Home Security Systems
One of the smart home trends in 2024 that we can expect a higher demand for is Internet-connected home security and surveillance. Many households with young children have CCTV cameras with branded mobile apps through which parents can view real-time and recorded CCTV footage. Some CCTV home systems even include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), allowing parents to “call” people at home and talk to them via an audio speaker connected to the surveillance cameras.
Connected home security systems are also helpful for homeowners who frequently travel. The ability to check inside and outside their houses, see how their pets and houseplants are doing, and whether people are loitering in their yard in their absence offers absent homeowners peace of mind.
Social media is also promoting new trends in security technology like one. Videos of exciting and funny interactions between homeowners and delivery personnel, toddlers and pets, etc., are often uploaded on TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook and get thousands to millions of views. As more people appreciate the usefulness of connected home security systems, it is one of the home security trends that will continue in the next couple of years.
4. Environmental Monitoring
We can expect any house with the most advanced home security systems to include devices monitoring environmental conditions. The scope of physical security is expanding to include detecting environmental factors that could put residents’ health and safety at risk. We can expect home security systems to have sensors and electronic monitoring devices that track the real-time status of indoor air quality, indoor temperature, humidity, etc.
These features are similar to sensors that detect gas leaks and alert homeowners if carbon monoxide in the air exceeds safe levels. They aren’t new, but combining them with home security artificial intelligence creates a more holistic home security system. Residents will not only be safe against intruders but also environmental elements that could endanger their health.
5. More Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Integrations
Now that we’ve mentioned home security artificial intelligence, we have many expectations about the roles of AI and machine learning in smart home trends for 2024. Below are examples of home security features that these technologies are continuing to enhance:
- Voice and facial recognition for access control systems – Hands-free devices are in high demand, and this feature has now been extended to home security solutions. Although many homes will continue to use security and locking mechanisms with keypads, there is a growing market for security systems that use voice or facial scans to open locks or disarm home security.
- Behavioral analysis – AI-powered home security solutions have machine learning capabilities that can be taught to analyze residents’ behavioral patterns. The system will then alert homeowners if there are deviations or unusual activities inside the premises, like if the television is on for five hours during a school day when the house is ideally empty.
- Predictive and preemptive alerts – Just as home security systems have been taught to analyze irregular human behavior, they are also given artificial intelligence to predict potentially dangerous situations and proactively prevent security threats. Environmental monitoring is one example of this feature.
- hermal imaging for perimeter security and restricted area sensors – Reinforcements for physical security now include thermal imaging. It is a valuable feature in restricted areas and perimeter surveillance cameras that aren’t high-definition (HD CCTV cameras are often installed only in main entrances and exits with the highest foot traffic as it isn’t cost-effective to spend more for HD CCTV that points at an empty field all day).
- High-definition video cameras – Every year, surveillance cameras are made better by integrating high-definition cameras that can capture video footage with incredible detail and clarity. We’ll see more affordable CCTV cameras that can record high-quality videos in daytime and nighttime, indoors and outdoors, and in bright or low-light environments.
Protect Your Home and Loved Ones through Reliable Home Security
Security systems are an investment that pays off every time you go to bed comfortably and peacefully, knowing that your family is protected from intruders. There’s so much we can’t control, but we can always exercise caution and take safety precautions as best we can by investing in robust home security solutions.
Aeon Systems, a trusted provider of residential security systems, can provide you with reliable, holistic home security solutions that suit your lifestyle and budget. We provide comprehensive services, from installation to alarm monitoring. Our seasoned security specialists and technicians will personally install your chosen security systems and make your home safe for your family. We offer round-the-clock customer service and support and 24/7 alarm monitoring at our fully-staffed monitoring station in Dallas-Fort Worth.
Learn more about the latest home security solutions, and find out what you can install in your home. Contact Aeon Systems today.