In the past, access cards and keypads were considered the height of security and access control to various premises. They proved valuable and effective. However, these traditional methods of automated access control are expensive to maintain. Moreover, they need closer supervision and management.
Businesses today require a more scalable, efficient, and mobile method of managing access control in offices and facilities. Cloud based access control best meets these needs and more.
What Is Cloud Based Access Control?
Cloud based access control systems enable administrators to remotely manage and control physical access to restricted areas in an office, business establishment, or facility. Cloud access control allows administrators to lock doors and gates or grant specific individuals entry without visiting the premises.
Since access control is done through the cloud, administrators enjoy the convenience of a centralized security management system. They have complete visibility and control over access controls sans the cost, complexity, and dependence on physical devices of the more traditional keypad or key-card access locks.
94% of companies around the world now use cloud computing and optimize its benefits for their everyday operations. Therefore, switching or upgrading from traditional to cloud based access control systems shouldn’t be difficult.
Top Access Control Systems for Businesses
Physical access control systems can improve security and accessibility throughout your business premises and facilities. Finding a system that works best for your organization is imperative.
To get you started, here are five of the best access control systems available today:
Brivo is a cloud based access control system designed for big and small properties. It’s easy to scale up or down, thanks to built-in options for managing physical access to one building or a multi-building complex.
Brivo provides tools to manage access and credentials via a laptop or smartphone remotely. Property managers can manage access controls, whether they are inside or outside the premises. It offers the following safety features:
- Entry logs – A useful feature for monitoring tenants and visitors coming in and out of the premises.
- Personnel control – A sophisticated security feature that only lets people in after they’ve completed a daily screening process.
- Energy usage monitoring – An extra feature that helps property managers control lighting and heating to reduce energy consumption.
- Create Schedules – You can now set times for entrances and alarms.
- Manage Permissions – You can easily grant levels of access for any employee in your company.
- Monitor Events – You can get event alerts and access real time video of any part of your business.
- View Reports – You can receive event data in an easy to read and understand report
2. Butterfly MX
Butterfly MX “makes property access simple” by enabling property managers and access control supervisors to manage permissions and open any door or gate via a mobile app. It is one of the top access control systems used in various venues such as apartment buildings, gated communities, student housing, commercial establishments, offices, senior living communities, industrial facilities, and more.
With Butterfly MX, property managers can:
- Manage physical access to rooms or buildings using Butterfly MX’s web-based dashboard
- Manage building-wide access while on the go through their mobile phones
- Quickly grant access to new visitors
- Use various entry methods to categorize access permissions
- Communicate with people at doors and gates through an integrated video intercom
This cloud based access control system has four components:
- A powerful access controller that enables remote access control management
- A Mullion reader that recognizes key fobs, cards, and windshield tags distributed to on-site employees, residents, workers, guests, etc.
- A keypad that can read RFID cards and serves as an alternative access point for guests given PIN codes to enter restricted areas.
- A vehicle reader that detects windshield tags and allows verified guests to enter the main entrances without having to stop or step out of their cars.
Openpath provides technology for keyless access entry and cloud based access control. It is a sophisticated system that enables users to open a locked door and enter restricted areas using their mobile phones. With Openpath, facilities can implement a truly hands-free entry protocol.
Openpath also offers the following safety features:
- On-site security system integration – Openpath can connect to your on-site security system. So if an intruder breaks into your facility, Openpath can alert your emergency monitoring provider to provide immediate backup.
- Access scheduling – Openpath allows administrators to heighten security by specifying when people are allowed access to certain areas of the facility. This is very useful when permitting third-party service providers, such as outsourced cleaning staff or plumbers, on the premises.
Kisi is another flexible cloud based access control system that works for big and small properties. It is also used in various industries, such as multi-tenancy buildings, commercial buildings, and corporate offices.
Property administrators and security managers can enjoy the following functionalities with Kisi:
- Multi-site management – Administrators can remotely manage multiple locations with ease.
- Access groups and roles – Kisi allows administrators to create groups and manage their access levels based on their roles on site. This makes managing access controls and credentials easier and faster. Administrators can assign guests and new staff to their corresponding groups, and they will automatically inherit that group’s access configurations.
- Elevator controls – This feature is useful in facilities that separate work areas by floor. Staff can only access the levels they are allowed to enter.
- Video and security hardware integration – Kisi can be connected to video intercoms, doorbells, face scanners, automatic locks, alarm systems, and other security devices.
5. Salto KS
Salto KS is more geared toward the hospitality industry, and multifamily residential, retail, and commercial buildings. Administrators can manage and control access permissions through a web-based dashboard or mobile app. The best part is that tenants can also use the Salto KS app to open their doors using their smartphones and give visiting guests temporary digital keys.
The Salto KS system gives administrators the following management features:
- Automate access controls with Groups and Roles – Admins can create user groups and roles with their respective access settings.
- Remote management – Admins can create and adjust access permissions remotely.
- Entry logs – Salto KS tracks and logs entry events, which admins can review according to date and time.
- Provide physical access options – Salto KS offers wireless smart locks, wall readers with or without keypads, and RFID key fobs.
Strengthen On-Site Security With the Best Cloud Access Control Systems
Choosing the best access control systems for your business facility is crucial as it will positively impact everyone’s safety and well-being. More importantly, it will keep confidential data, network systems, and business-critical equipment safe and ensure your business’s continued operation.
Aeon Systems, a company specializing in security system installations and services, can help set up a cloud based access control system for your business. We serve clients in different industries, helping them establish access protocols and giving them tools and technology to manage physical access controls independently.
Contact us today to inquire about our products and services.