While it’s quite easy to add up the upfront and monthly costs of home security, perhaps you’re wondering if it’s really worth it. Ask yourself this, can you put a price on peace of mind, especially if you have a young family at home? Another way to think about it is as an investment. And, keeping your family and belongings safe, seems like a high return, don’t you think?
Nowadays alarm systems do more than just keep burglars at bay, they can keep you linked to your home no matter where you are with sensors alerting you to any unwanted activity and potential disasters like fire or smoke. Another bonus? Paying a possible lower premium on your homeowner’s insurance.
What will make home security services worth it for you?
- If reducing loss from burglary is what you are after, the statistics are clear. Alarm systems deter crime, can increase the odds of catching a burglar, and the average monetary loss if a burglary does occur is a lot less.
- Are you looking for added security, such as smoke and carbon monoxide monitoring, or remote home automation for when you are away? Home security services offer this, and more.
- You want to reduce your homeowner’s insurance, or are your insurers demanding that you have a security system as part of your policy. This is becoming more commonplace these days.
- Are you looking to protect your valuables? If you have priceless family heirlooms that carry a high sentimental value or perhaps art that is extremely valuable, then home security services are a great way to keep them safe while still enjoying them, and not having to lock them away in a safe.
Is Home Security Monitoring Worth It?
Home security monitoring comes with 24/7 monitoring of your property. An alert will be sent to the security company’s emergency responder if a sensor in and around your home is triggered. This goes for burglaries, fire, and smoke detection. Although responders are alerted, they must get in contact with you first before forwarding the issue on to the police or fire services. Sometimes this can be a lengthy procedure.
On the other hand security services, without the 24/7 monitoring, will automatically notify you directly if a sensor is triggered. And, if there is an issue, you can then contact emergency services yourself. So this can be a more affordable approach if you’re in doubt as to whether you should have monitoring services or not.
Where Are the Costs Involved?
- Installation: A technician will need to professionally install all the equipment, from the drilling and the wiring to the hooking up of all the cameras and sensors.
- Home automation: If you’ve opted for this, your smart locks and smart lights will have to be connected to the security system.
- Monitoring: This will carry an additional monthly fee, and usually requires a contract.
- Live footage: Some companies offer continuous video recording and not just motion-triggered recording. CVR will come at an additional cost.
- Equipment: One of the biggest costs when it comes to alarms systems is the equipment, such as cameras, motion sensors, and control panels. It’s good to know upfront how many devices you’ll need and how many each control panel can accommodate.
- Activation: Many companies will charge an activation fee to turn your system and the equipment on. These fees are often included with installation and should cover all equipment.
The best way to figure out if an alarm system will suit your family and give you the peace of mind you are after, is to do the research and get in touch with the experts. They will be able to run you through what you need to know when it comes to home security services and monitoring.
The professionals at Aeon Security Systems offer comprehensive and affordable security solutions. You can have full access to your security system straight from your mobile device, laptop, or tablet. We offer 24 hour 7 days a week monitoring – there is no price that you can put on the safety and security of your family, your property, and your personal belongings.